How to Make Autumn Yummy and Sustainable!
“Leaves may be turning orange, but i’m staying green.” 🍂
Get excited! The Farmer’s Market is officially coming to campus every week until the end of October. You can find it in the Atrium from 11:30am until 3:30pm on Sept 16th, Sept 24th, Oct1st, and Oct 8th.
Some of the yummiest ways to live sustainably this season is to cook with foods that are in season and grown locally. With some tips on how to cook more sustainably, you too can try out some great seasonal recipes with good finds from the campus Market days! Click HERE for fun tips and tricks.
Want to know which foods you’ll be working with? Here are foods that are in season in Ontario Octobers:
- Summer Squash
There are millions of recipes out there! If you look on pinterest, or any other recipe website, you’ll be able to find lots of great ideas for autumn soups, salads, and desserts! Look to find one that sparks your own interest, and that includes items from this list of in-season foods.
Don’t forget about eco-friendly cooking! For tips on how to cook green this autumn go to: https://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-you/green-living/14-ways-to-be-an-eco-friendly-cook/
Autumn is one of my favourite cooking seasons which means I have lots of great recipes to share. Here are some of my favourite Fall Recipes:
- Quinoa salad with roasted eggplant, zucchini, peppers, and sweet potato
- Chop up all veggies with some olive oil at 400F for about 40min. And boil water and quinoa at a 3:1 water:quinoa ratio, once boiled, reduce to a simmer for 15min. I add chickpeas for extra protein and spinach for some extra green, and I use an olive oil and balsamic reduction dressing.
- If I’m feeling fancy I’ll add some yummies like walnuts and goat feta crumbled cheese.
There’s nothing more comforting than a warm bowl of soup on a crisp fall evening…
- Slow Cooker Quinoa Curry Recipe – https://www.simplyquinoa.com/slow-cooker-coconut-quinoa-curry/
- Instead of 2 cans of coconut milk, I used 1 can of coconut milk and ½ can of water. I also swapped out sweet potato for squash, but you can make your own alterations as desired.
And because WHO can get enough gourds in Autumn… While you’re at it you might as well complete your day with a seasonal treat. Here’s one of my favourites:
- These Vegan Morning Glory Muffins are super easy to make and super satisfying – https://celebratingsweets.com/healthy-pumpkin-carrot-apple-muffins/
There are so many fantastic recipes to try with all the wonderful food that’s in season right now. Have a look, check out the farmer’s market on campus, and maybe invite some friends over to enjoy it with you!